Tuesday, July 14, 2015

a couple little ones


Some Sheep, oil, 4.75 x 6.75
Sold

As I am trying to paint larger paintings these days, I often need to take a little break and whip up a few little pieces. I have always been someone who loves results, sometimes more than the process, so these little paintings are usually nicely rewarding. At the end of a painting session I have something to hold in my hand that I can say is done! These two were completed this week. I love the ability to play with textures and colors in a big way on these small panels. It is easier to work in the wet paint to create a specific image. So often when painting large it's more difficult to convey the mood, simply because it is typically done over the course of several painting sessions. The grip on the brushes, the intensity of the colors, the scope of the imagination. They are all things that can shift from one session to the next, thus leaving me feeling a bit like I'm starting over again each time. Large paintings have many challenges that small ones do not. So, I always have some small panels lying around for me to work with!


Toward Serpentine, oil, 4.75 x 6.75

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts!