Monday, July 13, 2015

across first beach


Across First Beach, 9 x 12, oil
Sold

Sometimes painting with a palette knife is the best way to create bold shapes that you otherwise can't form with brushes. The smooth texture and sharp edges are bold and expressive. For this seascape I really wanted to have several blocks of color, broken up by different edges and textures. Really I felt the need to do something different in my studio. I have been working on lots of landscapes filled with fields of yellow and green. I needed some blue, some movement, some texture. So, I let loose a bit with this one and left many rough edges bordered with pockets of contrasting and complementary colors. I love the effect. I wish this one wasn't going up for sale. Perhaps it's time to do a larger one for our home...

Update: This painting just sold! Thanks to my newest collector!


detail of Across First Beach

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts!