Saturday, July 11, 2015

driving by the farm fields



Autumn Harvest, 12 x 24, oil

Something I need to figure out how to do better is photograph my work! Small pieces can be very simple to capture, but as the paintings get larger and larger it becomes much more difficult to keep glare off and get the colors just right. I'm making it work for now, but may have to come up with some new methods.

This piece was a bit of a challenge to photograph, mainly because of the white clouds in the left of the sky. First there was glare, then it was too dark. Finally I think I got it, but the white in the clouds is being a bit washed out in the end. This painting is a rendering of a scene I see just about every week, driving down to Newport on a Sunday morning for church. I pass these fields with the trees lining the distant horizon and the crop rows filing by... Sam aptly named this piece "Autumn Harvest". In the fall as we drive by this farmland it does glow with a golden yellow and the sky is that cornflower blue. I like the contrast in this piece, and the more defined clouds, which seem to be falling by the wayside in my more recent work. We'll see how they fare!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts!