Monday, July 6, 2015

paintings hanging again


At the beginning of this year I set some serious art goals for myself. Some goals on the business side of this career, some on the creative side. Life throws different plans at us sometimes, and our family has been so grateful for the most recent change of scenery around here. Having a precious babe and her two brothers to love and take care of has been my current full time job. I apologize right now to Peter, since he makes it into the love equation, but probably doesn't feel like he does!

One of my goals was to do an art gallery show at least once per quarter. That really doesn't seem too ambitious, but after adopting Ruth it seemed it wasn't in the cards any more. However, this last week I did manage to get three paintings ready to present for a juried show at Rogers Free Library through the Bristol Art Museum. They hold an ongoing exhibit that changes quarterly at the library, which is a wonderful chance for others to see my work up close. I've often thought of placing my work in one of these exhibits, but have never done it before now. With three babes in tow to deliver my pieces we had ourselves a little adventure. When I arrived and began laying the paintings out on the table I thought to myself, "Oh no! I left my check book at home!" When I informed them, they took pity on me and said I could bring the submission fee the next day. I decided later to just take the kids all for a walk around downtown, stopping off at the bank for some cash. So, in the end I got it all taken care of that afternoon. So, one hot, muggy afternoon full of tromping around with strollers, bottles, kids, and artwork...nothing short of fun. We did get a nice lemonade and a couple doughnuts out of it all, so that made it all worthwhile I'd say!

My pieces were accepted into the exhibit (although I'm not certain it's a sign of any great accomplishment!). I did receive some encouraging feedback from some of the association members taking submissions. They commented that they really loved my work, which is always a boost! I have lots more paintings up in my head right now, so I need to find the time to get them out of my head and onto panels and canvases... With my multiple helpers around here I'd say there's a good chance I can get that done...in time!

So, if you are local to Rhode Island or will happen to be passing through one of the most picturesque towns in New England please stop in to the Rogers Free Library in Bristol to see my work along with many other artists' work hanging from July 6th to October 7th.

Rogers Free Library
525 Hope Street
Bristol, RI 02809

M-Th 9 a.m. - 8 p.m.
F-Sat 9 a.m. -5 p.m.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts!