Monday, June 29, 2015

vintage fabric stash


I'm eating, sleeping, and breathing this baby girl. She is delicious, truly. We still have a long haul up ahead in terms of the sleep routine, the feeding schedule, and the rhythm of our daily lives, but she is a jewel in our home. Whenever I look over to see her wiggling around, looking at the light, or grabbing at her brothers' faces I have to catch my breath for a moment. It's as thought I forget for a moment that she's really here, and then I'm reminded. It's a beautiful reality!

Needless to say, my hands are busy with many tasks, not the least of which is sewing for this little girl. Even when there is so much else needing to be done I can often be found at my sewing machine. I think Peter must think I'm possessed at times. Sometimes chaos can revolve all around me and I'm still stitching away... I guess you could say I become quite focused at times. I'm particularly proud of a recent summer jumper I made for Ruth.

While we were adopting her we stayed at Peter's grandparent's home. They no longer live there, and they asked that some family go through some of the items in their home and begin cleaning things out. His grandmother is/was an avid quilter, so I took it upon myself to go through some of her old fabric. There were some real prizes in all those cardboard boxes in her craft closet. I took a few lengths of floral prints, classic vintage textures and colors. I knew exactly what I'd use them for! Ruth now has at least enough fabric for an entire first year of vintage fabric shirts, dresses, and jumpers. I'm so excited! This was the first thing I made from the Grandma Opal fabric stash. More to come soon!


I created the pattern using another jumper as a reference. It isn't perfect, but it fits her perfectly for now...hopefully through some of the hot weather soon to be upon us? We've had a remarkable chilly summer thus far, but we always hope for summer to hit!






She reminds me of a Russian nesting doll in that last picture, her diaper bum, tucked up legs, and a little thumb in her mouth...what a doll.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts!